Started by Ivan Abadjiev, the most infamous style of weightlifting programming. Bulgaria was a powerhouse for several decades since the 1970s. Abadjiev’s programming is simple, but brutal.
- Limited exercise selection (Snatch, Clean & Jerk, Front/Back Squat, Power movements)
- Maximum attempts in every lift in every session
- Low reps per set (1 or 2 reps)
- 1-3 Sessions daily
- Designed for Elite athletes at the peak of their career
Perhaps the most influential of all the programming styles, the Russian system has produced world champions continuously since the 1960s.
- Incredibly data driven
- Periodized with multi-week blocks of preparation, volume, peaking, etc.
- Weight selection is based on prescribed percentages of maximums
- Large variety of exercises for technique and weakness correction
- Athlete’s training is categorized, planned, and tracked throughout their career